September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month. In your role as a family caregiver, being aware of the risks that your aging parent faces and educating yourself about these risks as much as possible is an important element of ensuring that they get the level of care that they need.
Some things that you should know about Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month include:
• Just under 57,000 new cases of thyroid cancer are expected in the United States each year
• Of these, nearly 42,500 new cases are in women and 14,400 cases are in men
• Just over 2,000 deaths in the United States each year are caused by thyroid cancer
• Of these, nearly 1,100 deaths are in women, and 920 deaths are in men
• The death rate for thyroid is low compared to other cancers and has remained relatively steady over the last several years
• The risk of diagnosis with thyroid cancer has increased in recent years
• It is the most rapidly increasing form of cancer in the nation
• The instance of thyroid cancer has tripled in the United States in recent years
• Though thyroid cancer can and does develop in people of all ages, it is considered an adult cancer
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your parent’s quality of life and help them to achieve and maintain a healthier, safer, and more comfortable lifestyle as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder care for them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent to fill any care gaps that might exist, support them in healthy lifestyle choices, and encourage them to pursue as much independence, activity, and fulfillment as possible as they age in place. As a family caregiver it can give you confidence knowing that whether you are able to be with your parent or not, they are in good hands. Whether you live at a distance and are unable to be with them as frequently as you would want to be, or your own schedule and limitations keep you from giving them all of the care and support that they need, the highly personalized services of an elder care provider are designed to ensure your senior has the support and care that they need at all times.
For elder care in Mt. Laurel, NJ, and the surrounding areas, call and talk to us at Home to Stay Healthcare Solutions (856) 720-0100.
Home to Stay Senior Care Solutions is owned and operated by the Dubler and Skole Families and was started because of experiences they had with their own Families. In one situation Mom was living alone and had a fall. It was not until this fall that the family realized they were unprepared.
When it was time for their Mom to come home, she needed companion and personal care to assist her and prevent another accident. Like most people in this situation, they were confused and did not know where to go for help. It was this life-changing experience that lead to starting a home care company that is focused on enabling those who wish to stay at home and age in place.
Latest posts by Andrew Dubler, Co-Owner (see all)
- Three New Laws Designed to Help End Fraud Against the Elderly - November 17, 2017
- Nutrients and Health Benefits of Pumpkin - November 10, 2017
- How Elderly Loved Ones Can Begin Tai Chi - November 3, 2017